Sunday, May 5, 2013

ELEMENTAL JUNKIE by David Sherry

[Air]
Ingest me like a chemical compound
I’m here to shatter ground and astound
But if my head could ever quit its pounding,
I could do with a little grounding
Cause my place is in space
Floating above an atomic rock,
I love God’s creation,
    but we put it on lock
So I take a hammer to this clock
Crystal shards
To get cosmic lawyers disbarred
But give some regard
    to what we discard
Inhale like a whale
And become eco-avant-garde
Here’s a charge to be on guard
When we discover the Alchemy of Air
Send a prayer to heaven
So ignorance can’t ensnare our brethren
Give progression some discretion
Cause when our dreams were torn asunder,
They thought bread would quell our hunger
But fertilization
    for a temporary solution
Left the future generation
With a legacy of pollution
Through nitrogen destruction
We may have greater production
But it comes at the cost of natural disruption
There will be regulation
So take care with my air
Because no breath
    is our death


[Earth]
I descend to the land
    like rain
Barefoot on oil-slicked sand
    I feel its pain
This is a chain of events
That will lead to our descent
Unless we prevent the extent
To which we circumvent the balance
For man, that’s the real challenge
So I cry,
    looking up at my sky
We think life is about a fancy yacht
Or what we’ve bought
But I ask you now:
    What’s the molecular makeup of my dripping snot?
Buck shot forming out of Astral Ash
Take your monatomic gold
    and trade it in for cash
I’m bleeding hurricanes from a gash
And I wouldn’t bother to
    lick your blood from the grass
Puff puff pass
And pass out
Don’t look down
Cause then you’ll hear a deafening sound
That’ll drown out His voice
This has always been a choice
So I choose to rejoice
    with an active voice
This is our planet
So let’s try to understand it
What happens if our habits wreak havoc?
Food riots and savage madness
    irreversible damage
So much waste
    Maybe we’ve become the garbage
We are part of this Earth
    Let’s not become Her curse


[Fire]
If we cleanse, my friends
Let’s look at the problem through this lens
Our forests are burning
    but our consciousness is turning
We’re aching for some learning
And we pray to be discerning
Psyches start your churning
Think,
    maybe returning to an earlier state
Death won’t be our fate
Don’t sedate, we need to update
If your soul is ablaze,
    you can’t afford all these delays
So many ways to raise awareness
About a home that we all cherish
But if we’re garish,
    then we perish
I wish that we could flourish
Only if we could nourish
    Physical, Spiritual, Mental
I’m a Junkie Elemental
Fire mixed with Ice
    we may be detrimental
My heat of desire,
    tempted to be judgmental
I must remember to be gentle
Water can still burn
If the thorn is spilling oil
Tied to the stake and lit
    Screaming for our mortal coil
Charred, there’s ashes in the soil
I bleed
But all we really need
Air, Earth, Fire, Water
So why then do we slaughter
Each other and destroy our Mother
We made Gaia a liar
And set her on fire
It’s no surprise we’re headed for the funeral pyre
So I choose to hoist
A moist tongue above a host
Speaking with the Holy Ghost
She’s the one I feel the most
I’m burning like a roast
And standing at the coast
A breeze felt with ease



[Water]
No more hailing tears
I want the music of the spheres
To me it’s finally clear
Negativity will never set us free
So this is a decree
    to search for symmetry
We’ll never all agree
There’s a degree of ambivalence
Sometimes I feel like
    a cut tree or a dead sea
But striving for equality,
    individuality, and equilibrium
We’re in need of a baptism
We killed the fish,
    so now we want Aquarius
Surrounded by the blue,
    but most of it is poisonous
So float with us
But we’re splitting like a delta
And creating Helter Skelter
I’m a child of the water
But we’re in a schizophrenic schism
    far from peace
Like the polytheistic gods of Greece
I’m at least under the belly of the Beast
I see its Marks
It ain’t a myth or a farce
It’s all so dark
I feel like a little boy left in a park
In need of Captain Planet
Cause I’m famished
Waste is rampant
We landed
In a beautiful Oasis
    but still act like we’re all stranded
Granted, so now I light a candle
As humans, we’re like a virus
We strangle, hack, and mangle
Everything has already been created
So we think of ways to desecrate it
What we decided is not painless
My spirit is the waves of the river
    and I shiver
Quiver
Some day we will deliver
Hopefully not a society like The Giver
Let’s make the world less bitter
Never let it whither
Transcend is what we must
Bring light and resurrection
To this nightmare opium den
So pardon our dust,
    The systematic rust
Passed down through years of lust
I feel the manic gusts
As this frigid panic thrusts
Our epidemic must
Find a soluble end
Through visions we contend
Our soiled souls we mend
I hope the healing ain’t pretend

Now let’s repair the planet
    And this time,
        Let’s fuckin mean it

No comments: